Tuesday 6 November 2012

The ABCs of Music

Hello there, wondrous people of the internet.  While a 26-song post of epic proportions might seem alarming to some, I welcome it.  Hell, if I can do the musical days of the week, what's stopping me from associating every letter of the alphabet with something in the wonderful world of music?  Challenge accepted...and met.  I publish it now instead of a Monday because I'm too excited to keep it under wraps any longer, and I also will be MIA for at least tomorrow.  Anticipating my absence, here's some good shit.

A is for A Capella



B is for Beachy Tunes



C is for Canadian



D is for Deathcore



E is for Electronic



F is for French
You thought I was going to say folk metal, didn't you?  Didn't you?  There's always room for change in the world of music, and I've had a few French songs I've been listening the shit out of recently.



G is for Gangster Nancy Sinatra
Lana Del Rey, you've done it again.



H is for Hip-Hop



I is for Iron Maiden



J is for Jazz



K is for Kicking It Old School



L is for Latin



M is for Mashup
Another curve ball, right?  I felt simply putting metal was too general, as much as I wanted to do it.  So here's my favourite mashup of the moment, with none other than Nightwish.



N is for "Never Too Old For..."
From the first album I ever bought, all the way back in 2000.



O is for Oldies



P is for Progressive Metal



Q is for Quiet
You know, the toned-down-minimal-subdued ditties I love so much.  Perfect for walking down the street on such an overcast day.



R is for Reggae



S is for Soundtrack
This is absolutely my favourite song that has been in a movie ever.  It took the first Sex and the City movie from dismal to thinking I'll keep watching because I'm already here.



T is for Thrash Metal
The one time I won't throw a curve ball.



U is for Underground Rap



V is for Viking Metal



W is for World Music



X is for Xylophone
X is a hard letter when you try to use it for anything.  I had to put my head together with one of my roommates to come up with the obvious xylophone, and that led to some research into what bands use the instrument.  Wanting to avoid another feature of "Somebody That I Used To Know," I found that the approveable Noah & The Whale has used it before, and that works for me.



Y is for Yarilo



Z is for Zombies
Z was a hard one too.  My roommate suggested both zamboni and Zayn (One Direction...), before voicing that I try zombies.  Not bad at all.



Did I really just get through a list of songs without featuring something by Dead and Divine?  I guess there's a first time for everything...

No comments:

Post a Comment